Thursday, October 4, 2012

Working


When we left Ireland last November, the plan was not to work for a while.My major concern was to settle our two teenagers in school. I had been telling everyone that I was going to enjoy being a lady of leisure, and after working full time as a secondary school teacher, I really meant it! My two teenagers started school on December 6th and my heart was in my mouth for them. Both are extroverts, but you wouldn't have thought it that morning......both were green to the gills with nerves! I needn't have worried.....when I collected them both later that day, both were happy and have not looked back since that day. I decided in January that I would apply for work authorisation. Under my husband's visa, I am entitled to work but the work authorisation process is not immediate. You have to apply, by post or online, by filling out a I-765 Form and pay 380 dollars. You then receive a letter about 10 days later. The letter confirms your application. I had to then attend a biometrics appointment (not always required). It basically meant that I had to turn up at Citizen and Immigration Services where I was photographed (again!) and fingerprinted (yet again!). The whole process takes about 3 months and ends when you receive a letter and an ID card, both of which you show to an employer. I received mine in early April, by which time I was crawling the walls!! There is only so much cleaning and walking the dog that one can do! Plus, while my husband and kids were well settled and meeting people, I was finding it harder. I had already decided that I would take a break from teaching...as much as I loved it, I did not want to have to go through certification here and I wanted to try something new. I applied for a Real Estate Course (40 hours long and can be done in two weekends or over weeks or months). Then, you do two exams in one session....a General exam and a Massachusetts Law exam. I was licensed at the end of August and am now working for Coldwell Banker in Newton. I am in the training phase at the moment, which is really fantastic. I am now meeting so many people, having a great time going to open houses and able to schedule being home most of the time when the kids come home from school. If anyone is relocating anywhere in the U.S., whether to buy or rent, contact me by email at noreen.boyce@nemoves.com and I will refer you to a Coldwell Banker realtor anywhere in the country..
Noreen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment