Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Emigration debates continues…


I thought long and hard about this post,  and what to write.  I was reading last week an article that was posted on one of the Irish around the world websites that I have I become a customized to reading on a weekly basis.  
The article is about a facebook page that was created that basically said that Irish people who emigrated are not welcome home, that because we left we don’t deserve to benefit from the turnaround when it comes..
This really upset me and I can only imagine that whoever created it for whatever reason has never experienced emigration (or maybe they have and it all became too much ) I don’t  know, all I know it that leaving Ireland, leaving my home, my family and friends was the most upsetting and difficult thing I have ever done, it still hurts today, missing family gatherings etc.. it is  never easy, but there comes a point when you have to ask yourself the question – what is best for my family, that is what I did . 
Ireland is my home, it will also be my home, and I will not have anyone tell me that I am not welcome back..  
I do take comfort from the fact that everyone that seems to have commented the page is disgusted by it and as angry as I am .

No comments:

Post a Comment